Follow on Facebook

Follow on Facebook

Thursday 2 October 2014

No cake for me today...

I'm not eating cakes today.
Or any food at all.

This isn't really a cake related blog post, and it does cover vegan/animal rights issues. I know some people who follow just for the cake may be uncomfortable with that, but I hope vegan or not you will stay for a read!

Today (2nd Oct) is World Day for Farmed Animals, and this year thousands of people across the world have pledged to fast for the day, in remembrance of the billions of farmed animals killed for food each year. 

I wasn't initially sure whether taking part would be a worthwhile cause or not. But I am, and my main reason is as a mark of respect to all of the unseen animals that suffer for the meat trade.
As an animal lover it literally breaks my heart to think of the huge scale of animal suffering endured by farm animals.

Over 56 billion animals are killed by the farming industry each year.
I can totally get why numbers like this would make people think that them alone giving up meat could not have any impact on anything at all.

But I am quite fond of the quote:
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

The fact is that more and more people each day are realising they can live healthy happy lives without any animal products at all. (and I hope that my cakes are a testament that veganism definitely doesn't mean "going without!").
It is such a momentous wish to hope that animal farming could ever end, but I hope that days like today will help make people stop for a moment and consider whether the animal farming industry is still one they wish to support.

Some useful resources for anyone wishing to trial a vegetarian or vegan diet can be found at these websites:




http://www.peta.org/living/food/free-vegan-starter-kit/

and of course  I myself am always happy to try and help, so if you have any questions,  feel free to ask away!





No comments:

Post a Comment